Sunday, July 17, 2011

Review: So Over You by Gwen Hayes

Released: April 25th, 2010
Published by: Gwen Hayes
Series: Stand Alone Novella
Overall Rating: 3 out of 5
Source: Kindle
Page Amount: unknown
School Rating: C+ (67%)
Age Group: Young Adult

Layney Logan, girl reporter.

That's all she's ever wanted to be. This year, her senior year, not only does she have to share the coveted Senior Editor position with her arch nemesis, Jimmy Foster, she also has to figure out how to keep the school paper alive. With the local paper closing and the school cutting Journalism from the budget, it's a long shot. Working side-by-side with Foster, the guy she likes to call Lucifer, makes it even worse.

The only thing Layney dislikes more than swimming in the high school dating pool is Jimmy Foster think he got the best of her, so she takes
his ridiculous newspaper assignment--to go on twelve blind dates--to prove his powers of darkness won't work on her. The trouble is, the more she learns about herself on her journey of bad blind dates, the more she wonders if maybe Foster has known her better than she knows herself all this time.

And maybe she should have trusted him with the secret she’s kept for four years—the secret that broke them up to begin with.


I read this book on my Kindle because it was under my “suggested books” section and it was only two dollars. Great deal, right? Well, I didn’t have high expectations for this, just because it was so cheap. I can say I was surprised on how entertaining it was.

This book wasn’t the best that it could have been, but it was a really fun read! I read it in about three or four sittings, which is pretty good for me (this novel is also very short, though).

Layney was an… interesting character. When I first started the book, she seemed like, well, almost like a stuck-up snob, but once I got into the book a little bit more and learned her back-story a bit better, I realised that she was actually a pretty good character. I never really liked Jimmy, until the very end of the book. I loved Micah from the moment he was introduced, though.

I loved the whole idea of the dates. I think Layney learned a lot of what she needed to learn on those dates, which made her character that much better.

I would have liked to see it end in a different way, but unfortunately it didn’t, so there isn’t much I can do about it. I guess what happened was meant to happen.

SO OVER YOU is a story about love, loss, learning more about yourself, and learning that you should never let go of what is the most important thing in your life.
Cover Comments

I think this cover is pretty… standard. I do think it’s a nice cover, and portrays the story very well, its just every love story has a cover like this.

Love,

Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment