Thursday, July 14, 2011

Review: What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Released: May 10th, 2011
Published by: Penguin Young Readers Group
Series: Stand Alone Novel
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Chapters
Page Amount: 402
School Rating: A
Age Group: Young Adult

Summary -

In the past two years, Mclean Sweet has moved four times. At each stop, she assumes a new persona, but it never quite works. Whether she's an effervescent cheerleader or an intense drama queen, nothing can permanently dispel the turmoil and rage at her mother since her parents' divorce.

Sarah Dessen's novel about a teenager and her restaurant manager father captures the vulnerability that young people often experience after the dissolution of their family. A compelling story; strong characterization; and with a touch of romance.


Review -

I waiting forever to get my hands on WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE, since I turned to the very last page of her previous novel, ALONG FOR THE RIDE. I’ve been a huge fan of Sarah Dessen for about three years now, and I’ve read every single one of her novels. She has done it again!

Mclean was a character that had to grow on me. She wasn’t one of those characters where I loved her from the beginning. After she grew on me a bit more, she became one of my favourite characters from a Sarah Dessen novel. On the other hand, Dave was one of those characters that I loved from the beginning, from the very moment he was introduced.

I loved the storyline that Dessen came up with for this novel - one of her most creative. I loved the whole idea of changing yourself, and how it isn’t as easy as its cracked up to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, I think it’s the perfect summer read, a book about love, changing, and how important it is to be yourself.


Cover Comments -

When this cover was first revealed, I wasn’t a huge fan of it, but after reading it, I really like it! I think it fit’s the story perfectly, but I got a lot of comments from my friends of what Mclean was trying to do.
Ratings -

Plot 9/10
Like able Characters 9/10
Problem Development 8/10
Solution Effectiveness 10/10
Writing Style 10/10
Character Development 8/10
Cover 8/10
Setting 10/10
Ending 9/10
Beginning 8/10
=
89%

Love,

Sierra

1 comment:

  1. i just got done reading this book. i loved it andits the first sarah dessen book i have read. i didnt like the ending very well but i want to read more of her books.

    ReplyDelete