Saturday, October 9, 2010

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins




*Please do not continue reading unless you have read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Although there are no intentional spoilers from the other books, there may be spoilers in the synopsis.*

"My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead."

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.

Released: August 24th, 2010
Published by: Scholastic Press
Series: The Hunger Games, 3
Overall Rating: 5 out of 5
Page Amount: 400

Plot 10/10
Likable Characters 9/10
Problem Development 9/10
Solution Effectiveness 6/10
Writing Style 10/10
Character Development 10/10
Cover 10/10
Setting 10/10
Ending 10/10
Beginning 9/10
=
91%

All of The Hunger Games novels have the most amazing plots ever. Collins has done a wonderful job in pulling all of those loose strings to pull them all together to end a perfect novel series.

The fist two novel’s character development struck a ten, but for this novel I reluctantly give it a nine. Katniss was very, annoying and rude at times, and I found Peeta, oh that wonderful Peeta, to be very annoying, especially what he was doing to Katniss. This was easy to get over, though.

I liked how the problem was spaced out through this novel, but I found that in the beginning it went too slow, and towards the end the pacing was too fast. There was like fifty pages left, and the problem was only at the climax, and I was saying in my mind “there is no possible way she could wrap all of this up in less than fifty pages!” That is the only main reason why this didn’t strike a ten, if it would have been more quicker picking up in the beginning and slower pace in the end, than it would have struck max points.

I would like to say that I liked the end of this novel. I can’t say much about it with giving out too many spoilers, but some things in this novel I just didn’t like. The solution effectiveness just didn’t work out in this book at all.

I loved Suzanne’s writing style in this novel, like the first two in this series, it is one of
the most unique writing styles that I have ever read in my whole reading career.

I loved the character development in this novel. Katniss learned to be more of an adult even though she was already acting like the adult of the family. She learned more and more by the end of this novel.

Like the covers of the previous two books, I can say from the bottom of my heart that they are amazing and that I love them. If you have read the books and truly get the covers, you will know that they are genius! They did a very smart thing with the covers, not making it too obvious what they represent, but not making it impossible to figure it out.

I love the whole idea of having the setting in future North America, and Collins has magically pulled together the world of future North America.

Although some of the things that happened in the end, I can say that I liked it overall. I didn't like most of the things that happened. I loved how it ended overall.


The beginning was slow, and it took me awhile to get through, but it was fine as soon as I got out of that little grace period.

Overall, I actually did enjoy this novel. I wish Suzanne Collins will right more about this series, weather it is a spin-off series. I would also love if she would write the books in Peeta’s point of view!

Thanks!
Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment