Thursday, October 17, 2013

Review: UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn (Spooktacular Paranormal Reading Challenge!)

Released: December 29, 2011
Publisher: Chanda Hahn
Series: A Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1
Star Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Amazon Kindle
Edition: Kindle
Page Amount: 216
Age Group: Young Adult

Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her newfound fame brings misfortune as an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its next fairytale victim.
To break the fairy tale curse on her family and stop these deadly events, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

I love fairy tales. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I don't think I've ever met somebody who doesn't like fairy tales. Although this is true, I have not read many retellings of these stories. I've been meaning to get my hands on some but they always seem to land on the back burner. So when I saw that this was a free book on Amazon Kindle and seeing that most of the reviews on Goodreads have been pretty positive, I decided to give this one a shot. The world built around this novel was written flawlessly.

This book did not take me long to read. Not only is it a easy read, it is also exciting and it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading. Hahn has a way of writing that once you begin one of her books, it is nearly impossible to put down.

The fairytale that this book mostly centres around is Little Red Riding Hood. This is a fairy tale that I have always enjoyed reading, so it was exciting reading it as a modern retelling. It was done in a way that wasn't obvious, which I really enjoyed.

Mina has gone through a lot in her lifetime. Her mother never gave reasons for why they had to pick up and move all the time, and she has spent a majority of her life running. I thought Mina was an enjoyable character to read about and I enjoyed the story that she had to tell.

I really enjoyed this novel, and I can't wait to see what the next books are going to have in store for Mina.

No comments:

Post a Comment