Sunday, August 5, 2012

Review: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer


Released: July 17th, 2012
Published by: Little, Brown Young Readers
Series: The Land of Stores, Book One
Star Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Bought
Page Amount: 438
Age Group: Middle Grade

Summary

Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairytales.
The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.
But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

Review

First of all: I absolutely love Chris Colfer. He’s seriously the most flawless human being on his earth. I love Kurt (his character in Glee) and he’s my hero. Second of all: no, that is not the only reason I gave this book five stars.

Alex and Conner are perfect protagonists for this novel. I loved how they are two very different mindsets, and loved how that played a role in things that happened to them. Alex is very much like myself in ways, she loves to read and grew up reading the things she’s seeing in the Land of Stories. If that ever happened to me, trust me I would be very much like her, looking around and crying at things I recognized. Conner is very much the opposite of Alex, he wants to get things done and get them done fast.

I was on the edge of my seat almost this entire book. I felt so attached to these characters, and whenever they ran into something I was rooting for them and wondering how in the world they were going to get out of this mess.

I was absolutely in love with the world that was the Land of Stories. I also loved the little fold out map in the book (I’m not sure if that’s going to be in the paperback, but I’m sure they’ll include it somehow) and how whenever they would mention something, I could fold out the map and see where they were and what they were talking about. I think that made me like the book a little more, I love when there are little touches like that in novels.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun read and I can’t wait for the rest of the books in the series to come out.

Cover Comment

At first, I wasn’t a fan of the cover at all. I thought they should have chose something better. But now that I have read the story, I think it’s the most perfect cover they could have chose for the book. At first I wasn’t a fan of the artwork (well, all in all I’m not a fan of artwork covers. I prefer real photographs) of Alex and Conner with the other pieces of artwork (like the frog, wolf and queens) surrounding them. Now, I don’t think they could have represented the book any other way. There’s jut so much going on that I think what they did was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment