Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Released: September 18th, 2008
Published by: Speak
Series: Stand Alone Novel
Star Rating: 3 out of 5
Source: Amazon
Page Amount: 364
School Rating: C+ (69%)
Age Group: Young Adult Fiction

Summary


Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that she is the latest recipient of a
generations-old family curse that requires her to complete three seemingly
impossible tasks or risk falling into madness and passing the curse on to the
next generation. Unlike her ancestors, though, Lucy has family, friends, and
other modern resources to help her out. But will it be enough to conquer this
age-old evil?

A beautifully wrought modern fairy tale from master
storyteller and award-winning author Nancy Werlin. Inspired by the classic folk
ballad "Scarborough Fair," this is a wonderfully riveting and haunting novel of
suspense, romance, and fantasy.

First Line


On the evening of Lucy Scarborough's seventh birthday, after the biggest
party the neighbourhood has seen since, well, Lucy's sixth birthday, Lucy got
one last unexpected gift.

Review

Let me start this review saying that I had very high expectations for this book. I ordered it over a year ago, and out of the bundle of books I got I was the most excited for this one. Don’t ask me why I didn’t read it sooner than I did. I finally picked it up, and I was somewhat disappointed.

The writing didn’t do anything for me in this novel. I hated that it was written in third person, I felt as though it was being forced to be written that way. I felt as though it almost was like Nancy wanted to write it in 1st person but something made her write it in third. It switched talking about characters very quickly, and it got confusing a lot of the time.

The setting in this novel did nothing for me. To be honest, I can’t even remember where this book was set. It wasn’t memorable, and it did nothing to the story.

The beginning sounded very promising to me. It hooked me, but sadly it lost me halfway through the book.

I loved Zach through the whole novel. He was one of the reasons I kept pushing through the bad writing. Lucy was a nice character too, she just wasn’t amazing. I loved Soledad too, I felt as though she was my mom (and she has my dream career!).

I loved the ending, and it was exactly what I wanted to happen. I think it would be more realistic if it when the total opposite way than it did, but there is nothing you can do.

I love the concept of this novel. The whole three impossible tasks idea is amazing, but sadly the novel didn’t live up to all its expectations I had for it.

Cover Comments

This cover is gorgeous. Period. My mom was even constantly telling me how beautiful this cover was. I think its just amazing, and I love the font the cover is written in.

Love,

Sierra

1 comment: