Saturday, March 5, 2011

Review: Flawless by Sara Shepard


Do not read this review unless you have read Pretty Little Liars.
Information:

Released: March 15th, 2007
Published by: HarperTeen
Series: Pretty Little Liars, 2
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Chapters (Local Bookstore)
Page Amount: 330
School Rating: A-
Age Group: Young Adult

Synopsis:



Spencer stole her sister's boyfriend. Aria is brokenhearted over her English teacher. Emily likes her new friend Maya . . . as much more than a friend. Hanna's obsession with looking flawless is making her sick. And their most horrible secret yet is so scandalous that the truth would ruin them forever.

And why shouldn't I tell? They deserve to lose it all. With every crumpled note, wicked IM, and vindictive text message I send, I'll be taking these pretty little liars down. Trust me, I've got enough dirt to bury them alive. -A


Review:

It took me awhile to pick up FLAWLESS, but then I started seeing the show covers for FLAWLESS coming out, and that pushed me to pick it up. When I got a couple gift card for my local bookstore, I took my chance and picked it up. I read PRETTY LITTLE LIARS back in the summertime, and I really liked it, so I was hoping I would like FLAWLESS just as much, because then I would know that I would have the full series left to read. I am so glad that I picked it up when I did, and I wished I would have picked it up a bit sooner.

Even though this novel is very clique chick-lit, the overall plot is unlike any other book I have read. Sara Shepard’s THE LYING GAME, although, sounds a lot like it, but I am going to let that pass since it is the same author. I think that it is kind of a breath of fresh air when you read a chick-lit book about popular kids getting cyber bullied (even though cyber bullying is nothing to be happy over, and I never, never, never had supported cyber bullying since I am a high victim of it) because most protagonists in chick-lit are the unpopular kids and they are getting bullied in some kind of way.

This book has it ups and downs when it comes to its characters. I think there are more dislike able characters in this novel rather than like able. From the four main characters, I like Aria, Emily, Spencer and I HIGHLY dislike Hanna. I don’t think there is a since moment that I liked or felt bad for her. Her problems were (pretty much) all her fault and she is a really whiny character. I also dislike most of the supporting characters.

I am going to mesh problem and solution together. I like how the problem with A is being stretched out all through the books, and I don’t believe that the problem will be solved (aka the readers figure out who A is) until the very last or second last novel. So, solution strikes low here, because of that factor, but I can’t say I dislike that it is being stretched out like this.

I really like Sara’s writing style, but I am not a big fan of third person, so that pushes me off of it a bit. That is just my personal view, but its not that bad.

The characters don’t really change through the book that much, but they changed before the books took place, so that makes it a bit better for me.

A lot of people highly dislike these covers, but I love them to death, because they are different from any of the book covers I have ever seen before. I like the fact that the front has a Barbie doll on it, and if you flip it over to the back cover it has the human version of that Barbie doll.

I like that this book is set in a very rich and what seems to be a very snotty and perfect neighbourhood, but the books show different.

I like how these books have a half cliff-hanger, because it makes you want to pick up the next book and just devour it.

The beginning of this book grabbed me instantly and had me hooked, and I couldn’t wait to see what happened at the end.


Parental Corner:

This book deals with mild alcohol usage and mild cussing. It briefly deals with drugs, but nothing major. This book isn’t as bad as some of the books I have read, so it is not that bad for young adult readers.


Ratings:
Plot 8/10
Like able Characters 7/10
Problem Development 9/10
Solution Effectiveness 5/10
Writing Style 8/10
Character Development 6/10
Cover 10/10
Setting 9/10
Ending 9/10
Beginning 9/10
=
88%

Love,

Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment