Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Review: Zombies vs Unicorns by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier

It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths—for good and evil—of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?









Released:
September 21st, 2010
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry
Series: -
Overall Rating: 2 out of 5
Source: Book Store
Page Amount: 304
Age Group Recommend: 12 and up

This book me over a month to read. OVER A MONTH. That is just plain crazy. I felt as it was just being dragged on and on.

When I would be reading this book while in class, a lot of kids would come up to me and say “who’s winning?”, and I had to tell them that they weren’t having an actual fight, it was just a bunch of short stories for the team you were on. They walked away from me.

Since this is an collection of short stories, I will not put the ratings on the bottom of the review like I usually do, since I can’t honestly rate this type of book.

I didn’t like this book. Not at all. I was attracted to the unique cover, not the concept. To be honest, I have never read a book about either a zombie or a unicorn, so neither zombies or unicorns are my thing, but I wanted to read this book anyway. Why did I even pick it up?

I will warn you now, this review is going to be short. I have never done a review on a short story collection like this, so this is a first time for me.

This book just wasn’t really for me, it may be for other people, it just wasn’t for me. Its just my opinion, which is apparently a lot different from a majority of the readers, if you compare from the reviews on GoodReads.

Love,
Sierra


2 comments:

  1. I don't think it would be my kind of thing either - it seems a little gimmicky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this book seems so cool but at the same time..ickky..but look at the cover! I'm going to buy this one for the cover :D
    Please check out my blog :)
    http://lovelylilbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete