Sunday, November 14, 2010

Review: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery



When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either.

- Summary from Goodreads

Released: May, 1908
Published by: Signet Classics
Series: Anne of Green Gables, 1
Overall Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Source: Sister’s Bookshelf
Page Amount: 175
Age Group I Recommend: 8 and up

This book took me forever to grade. This is what I am sticking with, though.

I really don’t read classics, but one morning I was in the mood for a classic that everybody said is good, so I slipped it off my sisters book shelf and read.

I really wish I didn’t.

Lucy’s writing style is very plain, my nine year old sister can write better than she can. She barely gives any detail whatsoever, which just brought the book down since it was set in one of the most beautiful provinces in Canada, Prince Edward Island. Although I have never been there myself, I have known people who have and they said it was beautiful. I have also seen pictures and it seems absolutely gorgeous.

The plot was plain and flat, half of the reason was the writing style. I mean, it really didn’t have that good of a plot to start out with. It was just like she randomly said I want to write something and thought of the character Anne and just wrote random things in a time line. It also seemed to move fast, since Anne went from twelve to an adult in a mere one hundred and seventy-five pages. And that included tons of full page pictures.

I really don’t enjoy writing this review. I wish I could say that I loved it and just ramble on and on, just stating reasons why, because this just seems to be an adored book, but I can’t, because then I would be lying.

Sorry for the short review, that is all I can pretty much say about such a short book.


Plot 6/10
Like able Characters 5/10
Problem Development 2/10
Solution Effectiveness 2/10
Writing Style 3/10
Character Development 8/10
Cover 6/10
Setting 8/10
Ending 5/10
Beginning 4/10
=
49%

Love,
Sierra

3 comments:

  1. It seems like you were pretty generous with giving a B for this book. Ive never heard of it, for it being considered a classic. One book that is a classic that is one of my favorites is To Kill A Mockingbird, you should defenitly read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series of books, but only because I read and loved them as a child. I grew up with Anne and even though I know logically that all your comments are true, I will always love the book as it was part of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gigi: I only rate my books with As and Bs. As are good, Bs... not so much.

    ReplyDelete