Tuesday, August 17, 2010

One Night That Changes Everything by Lauren Barnholdt


Eliza is in a full-blown panic. Her notebook has been stolen—the one that lists everything she wants but is afraid to go after. And the absolute worst person in the world has it: her ex-boyfriend, Cooper.

Like it’s not enough Cooper was lying to Eliza for their entire relationship, now he and his friends are blackmailing her. They’re giving her just one night to complete the most humiliating tasks on her list or they’ll post her secrets online—including the ones that arne’t just about her.

Eliza’s sure of only one thing: she isn’t going down without a fight. Cooper may have what’s left of her dignity, but she’s not the only one with something to hide…

Released: July 6th, 2010
Published by: Simon Pulse
Series: -
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5
Page Amount: 290

Plot 9/10
Likable Characters 10/10
Problem Development 9/10
Solution Effectiveness 10/10
Writing Style 10/10
Character Development 9/10
Cover 8/10
Setting 10/10
Ending 10/10
Beginning 9/10
=
94%

One Night that Changes Everything by Lauren Barnholdt is a perfect summer read. It is light, fun, with some twists and turns that you won't expect through this novel. Barnholdt but the perfect balance of romance, suspense, and chick lit.

Although the plot for this novel is very unique, before I started reading it, it sounded a little plain to me. Now that I have read it, I like the plot better, but that little voice inside my head saying that this book sounded plain kept me from giving it a ten out of ten.

Eliza was a very likable protagonist. I could relate to Eliza through out this whole book. I could relate to her by keeping her secrets to herself and not wanting anybody to find out; not even her best friends. Clarice was the loyal best friend, and she is the type of friend that I always want for my very bets friend in the whole world, loyal, but not too clingy. Marissa annoyed me, a lot. She wasn't a very loyal best friend, and through this book all she wanted to do was hang out with this random guy that she just met that night. Also, I have a cousin named Marissa, so I think that just made me not like Marissa even more, because Marissa is the type of person that I don't want my cousin to turn into.

The one thing about the problem development that I didn't like was that this book was only set in one night. I like novels that are more than a week long, but I guess this book's plot made it okay. Other than that, the problem, for one night anyways, was spread out and phased out good.

I LOVED what Eliza and her friends did to stop this gang from blackmailing her and making her do all of these things. I am not going to tell you what she did because that would be giving a major spoiler!

Barnholdt's writing style in One Night that Changes Everything was beautiful! I loved it, and her writing style was one of the main things that kept me turning the pages of this novel.

Eliza's character development was beautiful turning this novel. She grew up and matured because of what she had to go through to getting back her notebook. She was more an adult by the end of this novel than she was at the beginning. She was like a whiny twelve year old at the beginning, but by the end she was all grown up.

I honestly don't know what to say about the cover. I don't understand how it has anything to do with the actual novel itself.

How Eliza described her city, Boston, at night, I totally believed her. It sounds right for a big city like Boston to be like that, and overall it was just totally believable.

I LOVE the ending of this novel. I think I loved the ending because I loved Cooper so much.

The beginning went right into when her notebook was stolen, which I liked and I didn't like. I felt as if Barnholdt could have described more of Eliza's life before this happened, but I guess it was pretty good.

Having not read Barnholdt's other novel, Two-Way Street, I had no idea what to expect. But, now after I have read this novel, I am really impressed. I will be checking out Two-Way Street. I suggest that you guys read One Night that Changes Everything, because it is a nice, summer read about ex-boyfriends, gangs, and a tight-nit group of friends put to the test to help one of their members.

No comments:

Post a Comment